PHOSPHORUS - 32
|Physical Half-life: ||14.29 days
|Radiations:||-ß 1709 keV
|External Exposure:||The unshielded ß
doses from 1 mCi of 32P are 13,778 mRad/hr at 5 cm; 3443 mRad
at 10 cm; 141 mRad/hr at 50 cm
||ALI ||0.6 mCi(ingestion), 0.9
||Bone and whole body|
||Plexiglass is recommended.
Range of ß in air is 20' and 0.3" in lucite.
|LSC (Eff. ~90%)
Thin-window GM (Eff. ~25%)
- The dose at contact of a 1 mCi vial of 32P is
in the order of 1000 mRad/hr. Avoid handling unshielded stock vials with
your hands, use forceps with rubber sleeves, and work at arms length.
- A microcurie of 32P on a cm2 of skin
gives a dose of about 8000 rads per hour. Wear gloves, lab coat and safety
glasses when handling radioactive solutions.
- Wear a radiation badge when handling 1.0 mCi or more of
- Monitor hands and work areas during and immediately after
work. Document survey results.
- Utilize shielding; do not put your hands over open